Bariatric Surgery Recipes
Meet Dr. Joshua Long:
Our Bariatric Surgeon
A nationally renowned and double-board-certified Denver bariatric surgeon, Dr. Long uses a partnership care model with each patient to tailor care to their individual needs. Patients routinely thank Dr. Long for his warm, compassionate bedside manner. He’s considered to be at the top of his field, having performed over 1,000 bariatric surgeries. Peers praise his technical skill, and he has some of the lowest complication rates among bariatric surgeons in the nation. Dr. Long and the staff at the Bariatric and Metabolic Center of Colorado consider it an honor to serve every patient with the highest quality of care.
Dr. Joshua Long
MD, MBA, FACS, FASMBS
After bariatric surgery, your diet will need to change substantially. Bariatric surgery on its own is not enough to enable you to lose weight and keep it off; you will also need to commit to a healthy diet of bariatric recipes to maximize your long-term weight loss. As researchers at the National Institutes of Health put it, “Nutrition is the most important aspect of follow-up to safely maximize weight loss and prevent weight gain.” A recent study also showed that patients who used liquid calories or continued high frequency grazing behaviors were more likely to regain their weight after bariatric surgery.
To help you, we’ve put together a list of bariatric surgery recipes that are easy to make at home.
You can also create your own recipes. A good bariatric recipe will be high in protein and low in fat. Fish and lean meat are excellent proteins. Avoid fried foods and recipes with lots of oil and butter; baking is better than frying, and spices and lemon juice provide healthier flavor than oil and butter.
You should generally avoid foods that are heavy in processed carbs like pasta or white bread; non-processed whole wheat bread and brown rice are better alternatives. You can have occasional desserts (see our list below for some examples) but they’re often high in empty calories so don’t make dessert a regular occurrence.
If you create your own recipe, send it to us and we might post it on here!
Popular Bariatric Recipes
Stuffed Chicken Breasts Seven Ways
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- 4 slices of mozzarella Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Makes cuts into each chicken breast, 1/2 inches apart, being careful not to cut through the chicken.
- Stuff each cut in with 2 oz spinach and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, dividing spinach and cheese equally between each cut in the chicken breast.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Tip: Trying use different types of cheese, different vegetables, and different seasonings in this bariatric recipe!
Mexican Fajita Stuffed Chicken Breasts: Mexican Four Cheese blend, red and green peppers, onions, cumin, red chili powder
Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breasts: spinach, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, feta cheese, dried oregano, garlic powder
Italian Stuffed Chicken Breasts: spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese, Prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic powder
Chicken Cordon Blue Stuffed Chicken Breast: ham, swiss cheese
All American Stuffed Chicken Breast: bacon, cheddar cheese
Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Chicken Breast: mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce
This can be an excellent recipe after bariatric surgery since it’s high in protein and low in fat. It’s also pretty easy to make.
Egg & Sausage Breakfast Bake
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage (12 small links) or 12 slices turkey bacon
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 eggs or egg substitute
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cook turkey sausage or turkey bacon as directed on package.
- Spray a large baking dish (mine was 9″ x 12″) with non-stick spray, and distribute the sausage, spinach, and bell pepper evenly throughout the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, & pepper in a bowl, and pour the egg mixture over the meat and veggies.
- Sprinkle the green onions over top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set & a toothpick comes out clean.
Note: Add low-fat shredded cheese to the top of the bake if desired! Substitute any vegetables or meat in this bariatric surgery recipe.
Slow Cooker: Follow the same steps using your slow cooker. Prepare the night before & cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4 hours (until eggs are set).
Egg Muffins: Follow the same steps using a muffin tin (you made need more than one muffin tin). Fill each greased cup with sausage & veggies, then pour egg mixture over top. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes (until eggs are set).
This can make an excellent high-protein breakfast. After bariatric surgery, a main challenge will be getting enough protein (you need 60-100 grams per day), so you’ll want recipes with a lot of protein per serving.
Chocolate Protein Brownies
- 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed well
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup egg substitute (or 4 eggs)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup splenda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- Spray a pan with cooking spray.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend well.
- Put in pan and cook about 30 minutes at 350 F or until knife comes out clean.
This can be a great low-fat and low-carb dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.
More Bariatric Recipes
If you’d like to see more bariatric surgery recipes, follow us on Facebook and Pinterest, or check out sites like this for more recipes. Or, feel free to give us a call or send us a message asking for recommendations.
This page was medically reviewed by Dr. Joshua Long, MD, MBA, FACS, FASMBS. Dr. Long is a double-board-certified bariatric surgeon and bariatric medical director for Parker Adventist Hospital.
Full Bio: Dr. Joshua Long, MD, MBA, FACS, FASMBS
Page Updated: January 19th, 2020
Lose Weight and Keep It Off With Bariatric Surgery
Are you ready to take the next step on your weight loss journey? Schedule an appointment with our friendly office staff today.Schedule My Appointment
*Please note that individual results can vary and are not guaranteed.